When was the last time you genuinely spent time with God? Silence… I’ll give you a few minutes to reflect. What was the reason why you took time to soak in God’s word? Was it because you were going through a trial or were you desperately hungry to be in his presence? How do you usually feel before/after spending time with God?
So let’s start with why is it important for us to spend time with God? Personally, I believe that it is important to spend time with God because just like any relationships in our lives it takes two people. God desires a relationship with us. As we spend time with God, we see his character. We get to know him on a personal relationship, not how grandma or your mama describes God to be. Your personal relationship with God isn’t dependent on your mother’s relationship with God. Just like any type of relationship, it takes time. It takes time to get to know a person. You can make assumptions of a person when you meet them but until you spend time with them, you’ll never know who they are. Ever met a person and you automatically think quietly “I don’t like her. I can’t surround myself with people like her because she doesn’t seem like a good person.” Many times we make assumptions or have misconceptions about a person based on their appearance without getting to know them. Yes, I must admit that at times, our assumptions may be right but at the same time, it isn’t always good because we may miss out on the opportunity to get to know that person.
What have been your misconceptions about God? What are some of the reasons behind your misconceptions? Have your thoughts changed or do they remain the same since you gave your life to Christ? If so, you can share with us all or you can take the time to reflect.
For me, I’ll say a misconception that I had about God was that he didn’t love me. I just never understood how can God love so many children equally. Like I never understood. Like God you love me and my brother/sister/ the entire world equally? Wow what a God I serve. As I spent more time in his presence and seeking him, I understood what it meant to be loved by him. Something I have realized is that many people who are new to Christ see God as their earthly father. If daddy wasn’t there for me, how can God be there for me? This is a question that I’ve heard people say. It’s a struggle for many understanding who God really is but honestly I can say that as you continue to genuinely spend time in his presence, soaking in his word and asking the Holy Spirit for understanding of who God is, he will reveal himself to you.
So what are some way you can can grow spiritually in your walk with God?
- Be intentional
- Be aware of the things that distract you. (cell phone, family, and etc.)
- Set a time where you can spend time with God.
- Get a notebook to write down anything the Holy Spirit reveals to you during your study time.
- Be open and get ready to be filled in your Father’s presence.
- Before studying the Bible, take time to pray. Invite the Holy Spirit into every session.
- Learn to apply all that you have learned in each sessions to your daily life.
- Have a teachable spirit. Don’t come with into the presence of God the mindset of “I know it all”. Be humble or you will be taught how to be humble.
- Have accountability partners. Community is very important. Attend Bible Study. When we take the life of Jesus, we see that though he came to fulfill his Father’s work, he still had disciples. You can’t do it all by yourself. “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” -John 4:34
- Don’t compare where you are in your walk with Christ with other believers. Be okay with where you are but still be hungry for more. Desire for more but be intentional. I can’t stretch this enough. If you aren’t intentional about spending time with God, you’ll come only because you are being forced to do so. Come as you are.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. -Matthew 5:6
- Filled with more of the fruits of the Spirit; Christ like characteristics. You cannot fill a cup that’s already overflowing. In the same way, God can’t fill us up when we are filled with our own selfish desires.
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. -Romans 8:5
- Where is your focus when you come into the presence of God? Do you find it difficult to set your mind on things above?
- Though we live in this world, we are not a part of the world. Our lives should be a reflection of who God is. What fruit is your tree bearing?
- What are some things that are present in your life that are hindering you from setting your mind on Christ?
As you do take the time to reflect, please write down your thoughts and some ways you can personally grow in your walk with Christ. If you find it difficult to spend time with God in the morning, do your best to spend time with him during the day. I understand that we are all have different demand but we are on a journey and it is very important that we encourage each other in our walk. Create time for God the way you create time for things/people in your life but much more. May God help us but may we make a conscious effort to spend time in God’s presence.
Let us not give up the habit of meeting together, as some are doing. Instead, let us encourage one another all the more, since you see that the Day of the Lord is coming nearer. -Hebrews 10:25